Monday, December 6, 2010

Last Day in China

Since we arrived in Guangzhou, I had wanted to go to see the Five Ram statue in Yuexiu Park.  The statue is the symbol of Guangzhou, and we missed it on our last visit (for some reason I thought the park was somewhere across town, only this visit did I realize that it was across the street from our hotel.  Duh.)

Before we knew it, it was our last day and we decided to hop on over there first thing in the morning.

This sign greeted us....

This park is amazing - huge, hilly, and just beautiful.  There is something new at almost every turn, but we decided to find the Ram statue first.  On our way, we stumbled upon what could only be described as a hackysack convention.  Within about a minute, both of the boys were playing with a pro and having a great time.


The kung fu approach to hackysack...


 This guy was amazing...

We finally made it to the statue....which was really cool and  worth the climb!!


The park is about 200 acres and I wish we would have made more than one visit because I felt like we missed so much.  I really wanted to find the "Fable Garden of Idiom" purely to see what it actually was....


The crowd was very crowded with people doing "everyday" things - sitting, tai chi, chatting, playing cards, and exercising.


Trying out the parallel bars...


We watched this lady for quite a while - she had to be pushing 70 and just astounding.  This was the end of her workout that would make a Marine cry.






Street vendors on the way back to the hotel - you could get corn on the cob, freshly roasted chestnuts, and a coconut complete with straw for drinking the milk!



We had a wonderful morning and then spent the rest of the afternoon packing, weighing suitcases, repacking, wrapping, weighing suitcases again... heehee.

We decided to end our trip at our favorite haunt on the first floor of the hotel. Really good Chinese food!!




(and yes, I got really strange looks for taking photos of the food :)

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Your pictures made me HUNGRY, so I'm glad you braved the strange looks!
You know, we revisited that park on our most recent trip (took a taxi to the China Hotel) and still never found that statue. Hopefully on our next trip we'll be stroller free cause while it is a wonderful park, it isn't so fun with a stroller...

Cindy M said...

Well, I certainly wouldn't have given you any weird looks for taking pictures of the food!! Andrew looks so little next to his big brother! And Mindy, who was the only one of our family to see the ram statue with the Watkins, commented, "It took FOREEEEVVVERRR to get there." :)

Wife of the Pres. said...

Catching up Donna on your trip. I just don't get to blog or read blogs much anymore. We missed that park altogether. Darn! Our big guy was just so upset everytime we left the room. Now I know he was TERRIFIED but we didn't know for sure what it was then. Was just easier to go out as little as possible.

Anyway, so glad Andrew did so well and will look forward to an update from home when you get time. I am amazed at his English! That is fantastic. J has caught on quickly and little J is talking tons though his articulation needs some work.

HOpe you all have a very Merry Christmas!!!

template