Saturday, July 3, 2010

I-Day

Induction Day, better known as I-Day at the Naval Academy is an experience that I still don't know if I have words to describe.  We knew it was coming. We prepared for it.  We knew what to expect. But it still caught me off guard.  Kind of like labor and childbirth.

We were up early.  Really early.  His report time was 6:30 am - and we were set to get up at 5.  I was awake at 3.  Still not sure how well Colin slept - when I asked he just said "eh".

His game face was going on as we walked over to the yard but we had to stop for a last minute pic before going in....



The line up waiting to report into Alumni Hall - I think Colin had already gone in at this point

The clock marks report time...

From inside Alumni Hall courtesy of the USNA photographer... 

From here we really have no idea how his day went.  There is a news story here that did spot him (right after the officer talks about "the first and last words out of your mouth will be 'sir' and 'ma'am" - if you blink you'll miss him, but that guy with no hair and goofy glasses - is our boy)

The standard advice for parents on I-Day is to not try to spot your plebe, and I understand why.  It's almost impossible. The chances of you and your plebe being in the same place at the same time are slim. And we realized that if/when we did see him, we wouldn't recognize him.  So imagine our surprise when we were walking by the back of a building we saw a group of plebes and ours was one of them!



In this pic one of the new plebes is getting a lesson in not referring to your female leadership as "sir" - love the body language.



And he was off.  We wouldn't spot him again until the oath ceremony.

Family and friends start gathering for the oath ceremony really early.


We were able to spot him walking in...




(this shot courtesy of the USNA photographer)

The Plebe Summer leadership taking their oath to train and lead....

The oath of office...





After the ceremony the plebes are allowed to visit with their families for almost an hour and Colin came to us weary and a bit shaken and disoriented from the day. After some water and pep talks he started to seem better.  We got bits and pieces of info out of him - his roommates are both from California.  His cadre seems to be pretty good - he thinks they'll be ok.  He had no clue how to get back to his room.  He had no idea where or how to put his stuff away. Smiling is not encouraged.  He thinks he had a sandwich for lunch - couldn't be sure what else he ate (I later found out that they were given sandwiches, juice, chips and something else for lunch).  He had lots of blood drawn and 2 vaccinations. He did mess up and yell "Go Army, Beat Navy".  They gave him everything - down to Pepto and Tums. By the time he returned to his company his spirits were better and he was more focused. And counting the days until Plebe Summer is over. 




The plebes all returned to their companies and marched into Bancroft Hall.  His home for the next four years. 
Leaders getting ready to go....

B Company




After the plebes have all entered Bancroft Hall the huge center doors are closed by a Marine.  And the countdown to Parents Weekend begins.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, Mrs. Page, my mother and I couldn't read this without tearing up, and that gives me some sort of indication of how your day must have gone. I just want you and your family to know that we are so proud of him and what he's doing, and our thoughts and prayers are always with him and with you, as his mother. Watching your son become a man like that isn't something I can personally relate to, but I commend you for your unwavering faith and spirit. I am so proud of him, and I can't wait to see him again to tell him that.

Always,
Geena King

C.C. said...

Wow, what a proud day! And really hard for Mom, I'm guessing. Fascinating to read about your day. Hope you all are well!!

Jenny said...

Hi there!
Thinking of your son and hoping the best for him. Saw lots and lots of the Plebes at church this morning (we attend Catholic mass at The Naval Academy). We are just about to turn in our sponsor family form, if you think your son would like us :) we could request to sponsor him! And if not, regardless, although we are only blog/photogrpahy friends, we would be happy to help him with anything he might need in the upcoming years. Here is my email address
jmczollars@gmail.com If you want, email me and I can give you our contact info if he ever needs anything (or you do!). Blessings to Colin and to your entire family.

Kristi said...

Oh wow! You know, one summer when Ian still lived in Maryland we spent a day in Annapolis and watched the plebes. And I remember thinking that those guys must in amazing shape!
I'll be praying for all of you. Congratulations again!

Ally said...

Oh my Goodness! Where the heck have I been? I did not know you were blogging. duh! I spent a good part of my afternoon catching up. So many exciting things happening. I felt excitement bubbling over each post I read. I have now put your blog in my favs so I won't miss a thing! Sending a big (((((HUG))))) to our China family :)

Cindy M said...

I read this quite a while back, but something happened when I typed a big long comment, so I gave up. I'm back, and read it all again. I just don't know how you got through that day. Sooooo. hard. But I'm sure you were bursting with pride, as well! What an awesome achievement, just to be accepted!!! With our military background, I could just read all those emotions on Colin's face, and I could only imagine how it felt to try to encourage him with what you were probably feeling.

Jon wants to know if you went to the Navy museum and saw "the raft"? If so, he'd love to see a photo! He just read the book with Mickey!

I'll try to email you soon. I've been missing you and wishing we could visit. I REALLY loved that post you wrote about not being discouraged. It helped me SO much!

Love ya!

template