Sunday, June 27, 2010

Obedience, Reality, and Provision

I've been thinking about this post a lot.  Ever since Lori over at Joy Unspeakable asked:

"What are you doing that requires faith??" from the book Crazy Love by Frances Chan


It was funny that I should think about that question right then.  For the last three months I have been diligently working to put Andrew's dossier together.  Not frantic & panicked, calm, but diligent. I have had great peace about God's timing in bringing Andrew home, and I know if I do my part God will do His.  Easy right??

That's about where things started to go a bit awry. Over the past two months Satan has tried to throw all sorts of crazy stuff at us to get us off track.  Not huge things (there were a couple of biggies in there, that thankfully are resolving) but the little, pain in the neck stuff like:

My dryer broke - 3 weeks, 2 service visits, 1 part. Fixed.
My dishwasher broke - 4 weeks, 4 service calls, 2 no show service calls, and 3 parts to be told, we can't fix it.  One new dishwasher.
One of the kids put a whiffle ball through my living room window.  (But it was a great hit!) 1 estimate, 1 repair visit. 
On my way home from bringing Colin home from the University of Alabama (and after driving 2000 miles by myself) I got into a fender bender with my new car, in a McD parking lot, with a guy that had no insurance (and he was at fault).  The repair estimate was $200 over my deductible.
My washing machine is now currently broken - approaching 2 weeks, 2 parts and 2 service calls.  Still not fixed.
I dropped a umbrella stand on my big toe (one of those iron ones??) - not broken, but limped for over a week.
Alan's back has been giving him issues for going on 3 weeks...

Not big stuff - but all clumped together was putting me on the verge of crazy.  I get that a dishwasher and washing machine are luxury items in most cultures.  I'm insanely thankful that I have dishes and clothing to wash in clean water. But my reality is that taking laundry for 7 people to a laundromat 15 miles away on a regular basis is a real pain in the neck.  And takes my time from other things that I would rather be doing. It distracts me from stuff I should be doing.  And it puts me on edge.  The "what else is going to go kerplooey" edge.  The "we are hemorrhaging money for silly repairs that was meant for the adoption" edge.  

Then the thoughts start to creep in.  You know the ones.  The ones that sow the seeds of doubt.  The seeds of not being sure that if I do my part that God will do His. The this is what we get when we're obedient.
The thoughts that lie.  

And that's where Lori's question came in.  God's timing.  God's reminding me that the faith that I have in the big things works with the little things too.  I know it's a really elementary concept, but for some reason I am more apt to have faith in the huge mountain moving stuff than the little day to day realities.

So I choose faith.  My day to day life requires it. 

I choose to believe that God will provide to bring our boy home.

And you know what???
Alan got 3 cash recognitions at work in a 2 day time span.  (And they're not easy to get, trust me on that one).   Three!!  
Then the same day we were chosen as a recipient family for an amazing adoption fundraiser.  Amazing I tell you.  I wept when I got the email.  So far I don't have specifics (believe me, you'll know as soon as I do)- but for the month of August go visit the fabulous jewelry designs at Hip Mom Jewelry  and do some shopping!!!!   

See what I mean about God's provision?!?!

That's the point of this post.  Not to whine & complain, because that's not me. I want to share & encourage.  To share our struggles and shortcomings and showing how God is providing in spite of it all!  Be encouraged!




2 comments:

Lori at JOY Unspeakable said...

Girlfriend, today YOU encouraged ME. The enemy has been on me big time over *something* big that is unfolding for us. It makes me so weary to buy into his lies...so why do I do it?!!

Anyway, thanks so much for your obedient heart.

Golly, I just love our little adoption community! God is so amazing in how He plans out our encounters!

Kristi said...

Wow! So glad that you posted this my friend! I needed a little refocus about now.
And ps ~ I'm praying all your appliance/vehicle troubles get resolved and stop happening, cause who has time for such annoyances?

template