Friday, October 31, 2008

Thumbs Up for the Phillies!

Wow. What a season. The 28 year drought is finally over! I had to pinch myself. The last time the Phillies won a championship, I was 12. Rebecca is almost 12 - I hope she doesn't have to wait another 28 years to see this again.

Yeah - I'm a baseball fan. Lots of people find the game too slow - not me, I love it. There's just something about the sounds and smells of a game, any game that just does it for me. The fact that ANYTHING can happen in baseball. Watching the big boys is certainly exciting - but I'm just as happy at a Little League or Babe Ruth game (and believe me, I've watched TONS of those!). I actually have sent emails - in January - to some of my friends (who so do not get my baseball thing) counting down the days to Spring Training.

My Dad loved baseball - he played the game as a young man, and played really well. He could have done it for a living - but that's another story. Growing up, my Dad made baseball part of our lives - it was just there. The away games were on tv and the home games were on the transistor radio. (Many a night my dad dozed off with the radio in his ear!). He answered every question I had about the game, every time I asked. He had no idea the seeds he was sowing. My dad passed away 17 years ago - never seeing my love for his game mature, never hearing me sound like him when I watch, never seeing his grandsons all play, and play really well.

He so would have loved this Phillies victory and this Phillies team. My dad would have loved Utley, Rollins and Hamels - ballplayers after his own heart. Yeah, times like this, I sure miss him.



So, when does spring training start???





No comments:

template