
I remember putting my 3 oldest children on the school bus on a clear, crisp, perfect morning.
I remember nonchalantly putting on the "Today Show" as a then toddler, Evan & I went about our morning chores.
I remember seeing the coverage of the smoke coming from the Trade Center, and then watching in disbelief as the second plane hit the second tower.
I remember feeling emotions that I, at that time, had no words for - and still don't.
I remember calling my husband in central New Jersey, needing to hear his voice, knowing that he was far enough away from harm, but still not being able to get through.
I remember the fear of knowing there were planes in the air, and some were missing.
I remember putting on the "normal" face for Evan, so he wouldn't be afraid.
I remember being torn - should I go get the other kids from school?? How would I explain something that I didn't understand??
I remember praying for friends, neighbors, and acquaintances that I knew worked in the city.
I remember collapsing and sobbing in my husbands arms when he finally came home, completely soaking his shirt with pent up emotion.
I remember the deafening silence as air traffic ceased, and a nation grieved.
I remember those that lost family, friends & co-workers, I pray peace for you today.
I remember our men & women in uniform. I am grateful and humbled by your bravery and sacrifice. Thank you.
2 comments:
I also meant to say that I shared many of these emotions in my memories of that day...living through that day created a bond between all of us, I think...
Beautifully written...
Oh how well I remember too. The hours of terror as we couldn't get my sister who worked in lower Manhattan at the time, waiting for Ian to drive home from DC, staring in disbelief at the TV repots continued...
Post a Comment